SUSTAINABLE BUSINESS IS GOOD BUSINESS.
At Nobody Denim, Sustainable business is good business. Ethics are at the heart of what we do. We’re on a journey to be a leading advocate of good business practice. We believe in a triple bottom line approach that sees people and the planet as integral to our decision-making and direction.
At Nobody Denim we’re committed to manufacturing our denim garments in Melbourne and guaranteeing the maintenance of fair working conditions. Not only does designing and producing in-house keep jobs and dollars in the country, it enables us to stay at the raw edge of contemporary fashion – responding to trends and street style in real-time. All the while minimising our carbon footprint.
Accredited with Ethical Clothing Australia (ECA) and working closely with The Textile Clothing and Footwear Union of Australia (TCFUA) – Nobody Denim maintains an ethical workplace, provides fair wages and operates under Australian Worksafe approved conditions. Nobody Denim is proud of the conditions in which its clothing is made and believes that fashion should be made in a safe environment where creativity, quality and people are valued equally.
ACCREDITATION BY ECA OFFERS OUR WORKERS THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS;
- Having their rights recognised.
- Being paid a fair wage and receiving full entitlements.
- Being fairly represented and having an avenue for their voices to be heard - we work closely with the union to ensure this.
- A safe work environment.
For accreditation we are annually audited by the Textile Clothing and Footwear Union of Australia to verify that our Australian supply chain is legally compliant and transparent. Our Operations Manager, Gary Campbell, is on the ECA board. We believe Ethical Clothing Australia is integral to shaping a more transparent fashion industry.
We work with Sustainability Victoria as well as energy and materials efficiency assessors to identify ways to reduce our environmental footprint.
In Australia we live in the world’s second driest continent, behind only Antarctica. Water saving is therefore critical and a priority for us here at Nobody Denim:
- Since 2017 we’ve reduced water use by 50% in our stone washing and bleaching processes.
- We’re currently exploring other ways to save water, including steam recapture.
Nobody Denim is working to become more energy efficient across the whole company. We’re at the beginning of this journey but are proud of the progress we’ve made so far.
The factory has been our first focus:
- Lighting accounted for 40% of the factory’s energy consumption so we switched to LEDs and significantly cut our electricity use.
- We’ve saved energy by investing in more efficient technology, combining three machines into one to significantly cut electricity.
- To make our sewing machines more energy efficient, we’re looking at investing in new motors.
- To keep our spatial footprint small rather than expanding into bigger premises as we’ve grown, we’ve opted to stay in our existing factory. We’ve done this by making our garment assembly more efficient. This has reduced space and saved energy.
We believe the health of our workers, suppliers, consumers and the environment is paramount. When sourcing raw materials we aim to avoid harsh chemicals and instead opt for safer options.
IN PRACTICE THIS MEANS:
- In our factory we work with raw material suppliers who meet IS014001 standards - this means they not only meet, but go beyond, legal environmental requirements.
- Most fabrics we use in our factory are accredited to OEKO-TEX Standard 100. This means they meet, and go beyond, national and International chemical standards.
- In the Nobody Denim laundry we use natural enzymes. They replace harsh chemicals, are safe for human and environmental health, and are biodegradable.
- Our laundry dyes meet REACH standards. These are the European Union's chemical standards which meet, and go beyond, Australian standards. We do not use hazardous azo dyes.
THERE'S A LOT MORE FOR US TO DO TO LESSEN OUR ENVIRONMENTAL AND SOCIAL IMPACT. WE'RE ON OUR SUSTAINABILITY JOURNEY AND ARE IN THE MIDST OF FURTHER DEVELOPING OUR LONG TERM SUSTAINABILITY STRATEGY. WE LOOK FORWARD TO SHARING OUR GOALS AND PROGRESS WITH YOU.